Monday, April 6, 2009

Autism Awareness Month

April is autism awareness month. I've been working on a song for years about it, and worked on it recently. Just thought I would share it from a mother's point of view how it can feel....but am SO happy JJ has had so much help, and we count our blessings everyday for it could have been much worse from the start. We are happy and well. JJ is doing great and even starting to read. Love to all! Jen


Common Thing

He doesn’t say much does he
He doesn’t play much with other kids does he
Well I never caught on to that so early on
At 2 years old a little bit shy seems normal to me

So we took him for a free evaluation
And they asked all sorts of questions
Thanks for bringing him today
I guess there is no easy way to say
We’ve found a few delays

CHORUS:
You never know it’s such a common thing
So much information and confusion that it brings
Is there no feeling just the fate of silent prison
Well if they can almost duplicate a whole person
Can’t we cut through the confusion of autism

Now every day a little bus comes up over that hill
We walk down the stairs and I say a little prayer
Those deep brown eyes
And that blank stare
I hear them I swear sayin’
Never doubt me, or what I can be

But what happened to taking walks and toy trucks
And lookin’ in our eyes
Now I’m always on the phone feeling so alone
Just tryin’ to find out why
Our money’s spent before the next month’s rent
And the cost of therapy is so high

CHORUS

My baby, he’s so young
Do you think maybe I did something wrong
No recognition, no hesitation in the face of danger
How on earth do I swallow all of my anger
Can we find out what it’s all about
Oh God hear our prayers for all those families out there

No comments: